Tuesday 22 May 2012

The living is easy

Let me preface this post by saying that my house is currently something of a catastrophe.

There are toys strewn liberally across the floor of every single room, the dishwasher needs to be run, and I'm pretty sure we have more dirty laundry than clean.

Now I've gotten that off my chest, let me tell you that today I could be at home (mostly) doing housework, but I won't be. Nope. The weather is once again glorious and Audrey and I will be outside in it, meeting up with friends and going on adventures.


Just about anyone who knows me knows that I am no fan of housework. I like a neat house, but can't stand the time spent (which no matter how hard I try I can't seem to look at as anything but time wasted when I could be doing just about ANYTHING else) to get it and keep it like that.

Normally, I feel pretty guilty about this a lot of the time. But the last few days? No way. We get sunshine in Edinburgh approximately once every five years, so you bet I'm making the most of this and getting out there to make memories with my girl (and get some much needed vitamin D!).


Yesterday after kindergym we played in the Braid Valley Park, which is my favourite of the parks near us. I know I say it often, but we are so so lucky to live where we do. It's easy to whinge about the slightly rough neighbourhood and the big ugly concrete block houses, but we live smack in the middle of several parks, by a stream, a short walk from the canal, in sight of the Pentlands and on several major bus routes... what more can you ask for?



The Braid Park is full of little winding walkways, and the stream runs right through it. Yesterday we stood on the wooden bridge and looked down through the slats to see the water rushing along below us. Audrey squealed with delight, and looked on amazed when a dog bounded down into the water. We ran into our friends Jasmine and Kitty walking their dog Petra, and spent some time with them before heading home for lunch.


Afterwards we headed out again, this time to the park by our house. We took a football and Audrey had a blast chasing after it. Every time she dropped it a passer-by would comment "it's okay - you're still better than Hibs!" which I took to be a comment on a local football team who lost somewhat spectacularly at a match this weekend.



Today little lady has her latest vaccinations, so wish her luck with them. Afterwards if she feels okay we'll meet up with our dear friend Ros and go have some fun in town in the sunshine.



I hope you're all neglecting housework and enjoying the weather, whatever it's like, where you are!




No comments:

Post a Comment