Sunday 27 May 2012

Audrey in sunshine

The weather continues to be bright and hot, and we're practicing lots of weather related signs and words with Audrey - sky, warm, sun, blue, cloud. We're looking at the green grass and the blue sky, we're listening to the water in the stream and copying the birds cawing.


The other day while tidying up Audrey's things I found an empty lemonade bottle full of crayons. Little girl has been practicing her posting!


Speaking of posting things - we have a litter of baby rabbits staying with us just now which we're fostering for the shelter where I work. They are three weeks old and utterly adorable. Audrey just loves posting things  into their cage, she gives them all her very best things. We frequently look in the cage and see crayons, headbands, rice cakes and even, on one occasion, my mobile phone, nestled amongst the hay.


We get her involved in helping to care for and feed them. She helps to clean the cage and she gently strokes them. She puts chopped up pieces of carrot and cabbage into their cage. She's so very helpful.


Even on the days when we have a lot to do and we're dashing from place to place, I try to take the time to let her practice walking and to get some fresh air. It's as simple as walking through the park instead of taking the bus.




She teaches me so much - like how to stop and appreciate the things I see every day and take for granted.




I've never filled up my days as much as I do now, never squeezed so much out of every minute. Some times it feels hectic, and I wish I could slow it all down. But mostly I'm grateful for how rich and full my life is right now.



People always ask me how I'm finding motherhood, and I don't have the words to tell them how much I'm enjoying it. I love being a mother. I love it so much I'm sure it sounds unrealistic - because yes it's tough, yes I have grumps sometimes and no time for knitting and a backlog of housework. But I still love it so much it aches.


Now I have a sleeping toddler in my arms and a pile of laundry the approximate size of the Andes, so I'll finish this post here. Go enjoy the last bit of weekend sunshine!


No comments:

Post a Comment