Thursday 13 October 2011

Half Birthday!

Dear Audrey,

You're six months old today. It's been a wild six months, difficult and wonderful and utterly life changing. I love being your mama. I still can't believe it, and find myself saying it out loud sometimes in the afternoons while I'm watching you sleep. I have a daughter. I have you. You're mine.
You've just discovered your feet in the same way that you discovered your hands a few months ago, and you spend a lot of your time grabbing at them and trying to get them in your mouth. You're sitting up like a champion. You can drink water out of a "grown up" style cup (with a little mess!) - no bottles or beakers for you, clever girl. Today will be the first day you try solids, up until now you've been exclusively breast fed and I have loved the sweet, bonding experience of feeding you. Even the middle-of-the-night feeds!

Every day you are more and more of a wee person in your own right, waving your arms in excitement (particularly at the cats), shouting out or whispering quiet, reaching out to touch my face or your dada's. Playing with your toys, banging pegs and teething rings onto tables to make a fun noise, crinkling anything that makes your favourite crinkly sound. You're a joy to be around at six months, Audrey Bea.
And oh how you love your dada. How you stare at him while he programs or plays games, how your face lights up when he gets home from work, how you reach up to him every time he walks near you.


Right now I'm loving getting wrapped up warm and going out for long afternoon walks in the crisp, cold Autumn air. I'm loving showing you the turning leaves for the first time. I'm loving how much you love the rain on your face and how you stare up at the changing trees with boundless awe and fascination.



And most of all I'm loving you, Audrey Beatrix. Happy half birthday!

1 comment: