Thursday 6 October 2011

Catching Up

Audrey's been a little poorly over the past day or so, she's been sick a few times and is more subdued than normal, poor little thing. At night she's been restless, whimpering in her sleep and reaching out for me, waking up crying if I'm not there. So I've been spending my evenings lying next to her, soothing her when she stirs, nursing her as often as she likes, letting her snuggle up to me and grip tightly to the front of my pajamas. And it might sound funny, but I love it. I love being a mother, her mother - even when it's hard, all-consuming work. I love that she reaches for me when she's unwell, that I can help to make it better. I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for this, like this is who I am, this is the point of it all. From playing with dolls as a child to working as a nursery teacher to the shelter to motherhood. I love it. I am it. I've just been waiting for her to come along.
We've a few different day trips lately, because day trips are great fun. I'll be talking about them over the next post or two. The first was with Ros, we went to the garden centre and visited butterfly world.

Audrey held my hand and sat on the seat beside me on the bus.
It was a gorgeously hot day, almost too hot! But the butterflies were out in force.

Ros was very brave and held a snake! Audrey and I took pics from a distance.
We divided our time between the hot and muggy butterfly house and the cooler garden centre, where we had lunch and looked at the baby books. Audrey got a new book about bees! Her favourite, though, was seeing all the butterflies and trying to catch them.



Before we went home we had a go on the swings - Audrey's first time in a play park!




Such a lovely day. It was so warm that in the cafe we gave Audrey some water to sip from a paper cup - she had great fun splashing it all over herself, and even managed to drink a little bit. She knows what to do with a cup and can lift it to her mouth, but she needs a little help making sure she doesn't just then tip the whole thing over her face! It's messy, but it's only water and she'll learn. As long as she's having fun with it it's not really a problem - especially on such hot days.

Finally, here is a video of our Audrey Bea, since a few people said they liked to see the last video post. Hope you like this one too! Audrey is demonstrating how good she is at sitting up, and some of her favourite toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment