Friday 23 March 2012

The Best Day

Last Sunday was both my birthday and my first Mother's Day as a mama, so it was extra special. Ian and Audrey really put a lot of thought and effort into making my day so perfect. I kept saying over and over that "this is one of the best days of my life!" I wasn't kidding, either - it's up there with my wedding.

I started out with a lie in (a LIE IN, people!) while Ian entertained Audrey downstairs for a couple of hours, then I had lovely cards and gifts and daffodils. Ian got me a special chest of drawers for storing my yarn and fabric in, complete with child proof catches to keep Audrey (and the cats) out. It was such a thoughtful gift.

Then we packed up a packed lunch and went to the zoo!
I love the zoo, it's one of my favourite places on the planet, and it was Audrey's first visit. She spent the first wee while intently studying the shiny leaflet we were given on buying our tickets.

After a while we realised it was upside down, but it didn't seem to bother her.
She was quite amazed by some of the animals.


And the weather was stunning - not too hot, but clear and bright and full of spring.

I definitely think she's inherited her Mama's love of animals!



She really seemed to enjoy looking at the penguins, which is a good thing as Edinburgh Zoo has a LOT of them.




This is such a great age for going places and seeing things. She wants to investigate everything, wants you to tell her the names of things, wants to try out all the sounds and actions she possibly can.
Hey look at that!

And all of those!

"Wow!" she said, over and over again. "Oooh wow!"

At the gift shop she chose a bright green toy snake to take home, and clutched him tightly along with Tigger.


On the way home we looked at a special library book we got out that has pictures of lots of different animals. We found pictures of all the animals we'd seen at the zoo and there was lots of pointing and "oooh!"



She is so fantastic just now, so much fun. Every day she's saying new words (yep, words! I'll update in a future post!) and communicating and interacting so much.

Every day is my favourite day.

No comments:

Post a Comment