Sunday 13 November 2011

Balancing

I'm a mum - but I'm also a friend, an animal shelter manager, a knitter, a writer, a sister/daughter/grandaughter, a pet owner, a wife, a human being in my own right. It's very hard to balance these things, to give each what it needs to survive, let alone flourish. The only time I get to do housework is when Audrey is asleep, but when she's asleep the last thing I want to be doing is banging about hoovering and making a noise. The only time I get to write is late at night when she's down for the night, but I'm so tired that I just fall asleep over my laptop. The only time I get to go in to the shelter is on the weekends when Ian is here to look after Audrey - and then I feel guilty for not spending more time with my family when we finally have time together. Or not doing the housework when I have time with Ian minding her.

And on those rare occasions when I have time to myself, or when Audrey is sleeping well and Ian's here and it's just the two of us, then I think: I could be writing. I've not written anything in months, and it's part of who I am. I could be knitting. I could be listening to music that's not My Little Pony. I should be cleaning. I should be working on the shelter website. I've not seen this or that friend in weeks - I'm losing touch with people I love.

Then I beat myself up for being too tired in the morning to go out for a walk with baby, because she's bored and she loves to see the leaves falling down from the trees, and there's only a few days of that left. I should have gone to bed earlier.


There's no clear answer. But for now, consciously or not, I'm prioritising motherhood. She'll only be small for such a short time, and I want to be really present for as much of it as I can.

People are the most important thing. So I try to give my friends as close to 100% of my attention as I can when they're here, and when we're invited out for an adventure we say YES and off I go, sitting side by side with my daughter on the bus. I try not to think about piles of laundry or fundraisers or vet bills, and stay in the Here. Now. Yes. We're off.

2 comments:

  1. It's a no brainer hey but still so hard, but you are so right so when people ask when am I going back to work its so hard not to thump them yerh we need to extra cash but didn't we just have the conversation 30 mins ago about how good my boys are! The time you put in now will always make the world of difference. I've not got perfect kids but they are loved and they know that first and for most, not somthing I ever felt growing up when I needed it ! Please just keep being you Ray love it x x x
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete