Tuesday 20 December 2011

Oh Christmas Tree

Okay, I know, I know. We're the latest ever. But today we put our Christmas tree up!

In our defense, busy doesn't even begin to cover the state of things for our family lately. This time of year is always the busiest and most difficult time at the shelter, and on top of that we're going away for nearly a week to my grandparents' house over Christmas - the longest we've ever been away from home with Audrey Bea. It's hectic, but it's also wonderful. That sentence right there could be the story of my life!

But oh, tonight was so beautiful. There was one point when the tree was up and twinkling with multi-coloured lights, and Bing Crosby was crooning Little Drummer Boy from my laptop, and Audrey was sat in my lap. We turned the lights off, and watched her little face as she stared at the tree with her mouth open and her eyes so wide. There are moments when being a parent is tough, really tough, but I love it anyway. This wasn't one of those moments. It was so perfect, and I was so aware of how quickly this first Christmas will flash by and how important are the memories we're making right now, today, that it brought me to tears.

Sappy, I know. But real, I promise you.

She still loves to sit and watch the birds through the window with the cat. Because it's just super fun, okay.

In other news she's been pulling herself up to standing as often as she can possibly manage lately. It's her new all time favourite thing ever, and she's getting really good at it - she's mastered the one-handed stand, and last night she stood for a good few seconds totally unsupported, no hands at all, until Ian and I both noticed and exclaimed "oh wow, clever girl!" and surprised her into toppling over!

She's so much fun. It's pure joy spending time with her, and I feel so lucky every day lately. I'm so very, very happy.


Having Ian off work has also been wonderful. He's got three weeks off work this Christmas, and we're making the most of every moment we have together as a family.

Now I've got to be off. There are baubles to hang, and scented candles to light. And that Christmas knitting won't finish itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment